At Men’s Health Boston, we believe that preventive medicine starts with establishing healthy behaviors. We also know that behavior change is hard, and you shouldn’t have to do hard things alone.
That’s why we’re proud to offer nutrition counseling services as a resource to our patients. Whether you are looking to:
- Boost your energy and focus, and ditch chronic fatigue
- Achieve body transformations and feel good in the clothes you wear
- Prevent, manage, or alleviate chronic diseases
- Improve digestive issues and learn how to eat without anxiety
We can help.
What are Nutrition Services? Are you going to put me on a “diet”?
While certain medical conditions do require targeted nutrition therapy, what most people think of as a “diet” is something designed to be short-term and restrictive to achieve a specific goal, such as losing weight. Unfortunately, a large body of research shows that this approach isn’t very effective long-term.
Who should see a dietitian?
Most people benefit from an honest walk-through of their lifestyle and nutrition habits to help identify challenge areas and collaborate on realistic solutions. Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT) is an effective tool in a wide range of situations, including:
- If you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, or diabetes
- If you or your doctor are concerned about your blood sugar levels
- If you have noticed recent weight change that wasn’t intentional
- If you have been told by your provider that you have poor bone health
- If you regularly deal with acid reflux or GI distress
Will my insurance cover nutrition services?
Most major insurances cover nutrition services to some extent, although individual policies vary and some may require a physician referral. The best way to know what your plan covers is to call your insurance company and speak to a representative about your nutrition coverage details. It is important to distinguish between Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), which is offered by our dietitian, Zach, and basic “nutrition counseling”, as coverage may be different.
It can be helpful to ask about billing codes 97802 and 97803, the most common codes used for MNT. From there, we can help you determine if you will qualify for “medical necessity”.
What if my insurance says “no” to coverage?
We are committed to making these services available and affordable to patients who want to take charge of their health. If your insurance plan won’t cover nutrition counseling, we offer a flexible pay-for-service program and discounted consultation packages:
- Initial assessment (1 hour): $175
- Follow-up visit (45 min): $100 each
- 3 sessions for $270 ($90 each)
- 5 sessions for $425 ($85 each)
- 10 sessions for $700 ($70 each)
- Grocery store tour (1 hour): $100
Who is your nutritionist and what can I expect from an appointment?
Meet Zach, our Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with a passion for helping clients reach their health goals through an approach tailored to fit each individual’s unique needs. Zach has a background in preventative nutrition and exercise science, and he believes in providing people with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to take charge of their diet and lifestyle on their terms.
Zach runs our nutrition and lifestyle program, including:
- Initial assessment: in this hour-long session, you will discuss goals and challenges, pertinent medical history, and current habits ranging from what you eat and how you move to how well you sleep and how you manage stress.
- Follow-up consultations: typically 45 minutes and build upon the goals and skills identified during previous meetings to provide ongoing support for healthy behavior changes.
- Grocery store tours: targeted field trips designed to provide real-world shopping solutions to everyday challenges. It’s like having a food expert along on your weekly grocery run!
Do you offer additional services besides nutrition consultations?
Alongside our core programs, we offer our patients a variety of supplementary services including diagnostic tools, dietary supplements, and cutting-edge medical devices.
Dexa Body Composition Scan
the gold-standard in assessing lean muscle, body fat, and bone density
Supplements you can trust
through our partnership with Xymogen, including Vitamin D+K2, Omega-3 Fish Oil, and a Men’s Multivitamin
A comprehensive “Core to Floor” Program
focused on abdominal and pelvic floor strength and musculature
A comprehensive “Core to Floor” Program